Sr. Mary Happ
Sister Mary Happ, (formerly Sister Charles Marie), 85, died in Assisi House on June 26, 2017. She had been a professed member of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for 64 years. Sister Mary was born in Abington, Pennsylvania, and was a graduate of Notre Dame High School in Wyncote. She entered the congregation in 1950 and professed her first vows in 1953. Sister Mary earned a B.S. in Elementary Education from Villanova in 1963. She ministered primarily in education and healthcare.
Sister Mary’s 27 years of service in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia included working at St. Mary Medical Center in Langhorne. She later lived at Queen of Peace Convent, the congregation’s independent living residence in Aston, and volunteered at Assisi House. In 2000 she moved to Assisi House where she served in prayer ministry until her death.
Sister Mary ministered for 24 years in the Diocese of Trenton. She taught at Immaculate Conception School; St. Rose of Lima School, Freehold; St. Anthony School, Trenton; and St. Augustine School, Kendall Park. She also ministered at St. Francis Medical Center in Trenton.
Sister Mary also ministered for a short time at St Mary’s Children’s Home in New Bedford, Massachusetts.
All services will be held in Assisi House, 610 Red Hill Road, Pennsylvania, 19014 on Wednesday, July 5. A Christian Wake Service will be held at 9:30 A.M. followed by viewing. Mass of Christian Burial at will be at 11 A.M. Burial will be in Our Lady of Angels Cemetery in Aston. Sister Mary is survived by her sister, Susan Garza, by her nieces, nephews, grandnieces and grandnephews, and by her Franciscan family. Donations in her name can be made to the Sisters of St. Francis Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, PA 19014.