Sr. Mary Carmichael, OSF (Carmichael)
Aston, PA—Sister Mary Teresa Carmichael, OSF, (formerly Sister Eucharia), 93, died in Assisi House on December 28. She had been a professed member of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for 71 years. Sister Mary Teresa (Mary Margaret Carmichael) was born in Philadelphia where she was a member of Corpus Christi Parish and a graduate of Hallahan High School. She entered the congregation in 1943 and professed her first vows in 1946. Her sister, Sister Rosa Carmichael (now deceased), was also a member of the congregation. Sister Mary Teresa graduated from St. Joseph Hospital School of Nursing in Baltimore, Maryland, and later went on to earn a B.S. in Nursing from Villanova University and an M.S. in Nursing from St. John University in Jamaica, New York. She ministered primarily in healthcare and, in later years, in congregational ministries.
During her 46 years of ministry in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Sister Mary Teresa ministered as a
nurse in Assisi House (our retirement residence in Aston), served as coordinator of retirement for the
Sisters of St. Francis, and was as an instructor at St. Mary Medical Center in Langhorne. In 2012 she
moved to Assisi House where she served in prayer and hospitality ministry until her death.
During her many years in healthcare, Sister Mary Teresa also worked as a nursing instructor in several
hospitals and schools of nursing. She served at St. Joseph Hospital School of Nursing in Baltimore,
Maryland (5 years); St. Joseph Hospital in Lancaster, Pennsylvania (10 years); and St. Joseph Hospital
School of Nursing in Reading, Pennsylvania (5 years).
All services will be held in Assisi House, 600 Red Hill Road, Aston, Pennsylvania 19014, on Tuesday,
January 2. A Christian Wake Service will be held at 9:30 A.M. followed by viewing. Mass of Christian
Burial at will be at 11 A.M. Burial will be in Our Lady of Angels Cemetery in Aston. Sister Mary Teresa
is survived by her many cousins and by her Franciscan family. Donations in her name can be made to the Sisters of St. Francis Foundation, 609 South Convent Road, Aston, Pennsylvania 19014.